Sunday, June 19, 2011

Day 5

Unfortunately, yesterday I came down with the stomach flu (don’t worry mom, doing fine now) so I was unable to participate in English camp. I’ve asked Hunter Boe to fill in some of the details:

One thing often told to us prior to the trip is how much students have more leadership responsibilities. English camp was the first time I got to experience this firsthand. On the one hand it was very nerve-racking because I didn’t want to mess up their Christian lives. However, after five sessions with the same group I had learned so much about the Brazilian culture and their own lives. At one point near the end of the sessions we had gotten into a deeper discussion and I was really worrying about having answers and getting the message across correctly. Later though, the Holy Spirit absolutely gave me the words to speak as all questions went smoothly and the right thoughts came to mind immediately. I was just so happy I could be the vessel for God’s message and look forward to being used by him later in the trip.

As a side note, I once asked if everyone had the 2nd “sheet” of paper to which several boys started snickering. Thoroughly confused I looked at them questioningly. They then reminded me of a certain American swear word pronounced differently. For the rest of the sessions I chose more appropriate words like piece.

Also, a guy here has a tattoo of the one ring around his arm. Yes.

Despite not feeling 100% yesterday, it was still a great day. I spent the day at Pastor Johny’s house with his wife Marcia. (Praise God that mothers speak a universal language.) As I sat at her kitchen table drinking tea and discussing various topics through broken Spanish, Portuguese, and English I felt such a love towards her and the other people we’ve met on the trip thus far. I know I’m not alone in this, our entire team has become very close to so many people.

I’m sitting here in the church as the worship team is warming up for service tonight at 7. I’m not sure what the schedule for tomorrow looks like, probably going into some of the private schools to share the Gospel (the public schools are still closed because of the strike).

Please continue to pray for energy for the team, boldness in sharing the Gospel, and that we would continue to grow spiritually as a result of this amazing trip.

Thanks for your continued prayers,

Hannah W.

(P.S. Ricky wasn’t exaggerating about the barbeque at all. Sooo delicious.)

8 comments:

  1. Dear Hunter and Hannah,
    I am very proud of both of you, miss you very much, and thoroughly enjoyed this whole post. Hunter, you've always had a way with words, as I think we all know.
    Keep up the good work, I'm praying for you!! (By which, of course, I mean the whole team...of which you are part...)
    Love,
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...sounds like a busy day. I'm really glad you're feeling better, and also that mothers speak a "universal language." Soooo true, lol.

    Super cool to hear from Hunter, too! Sounds like some huge responsibilities...I've been praying that the Holy Spirit would really speak through y'all. It's awesome to hear about it happening! :)

    Be bold and courageous!!
    "What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? Who shall bring any charge against God's elect? It is God who justifies. Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword?

    As it is written,
    "For your sake we are being killed all the day long;
    we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered."

    No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord." - Romans 8:31-39

    Preston

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you were sick, Hannah! :( Glad you had someone to take care of you.

    Hunter, we are so proud of you! Way to let the H.S. work through you. Can't wait to hear even more stories of that happening.

    Praying continuously,
    The Wittwers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hannah, I am so proud of you. Sorry to hear that you were sick. I am praying for you. I can't wait to hear all about the trip.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. Oh, Hunter. :)
    2. Bummer Hannah W!
    3. I miss those Boe kids. Will someone please give them a squeeze from their mama? 4. Praying for strength, open doors and boldness!
    5. Back to those Boe kids, I need to know if they want 2D or 3D ticket to a certain movie I need to get tickets for ASAP, so if they can let me know via this blog, that would be great. :)
    6. Love to all! Gina Boe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hunter,

    It's been a pleasure watching your boldness evolve. Loved the story from yesterday...keep it up...bw

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello to everyone! We are steadfastly praying for all of you. May the Lord continue to do a mighty work in Brazil through you! I read this in my devotion today. It is from Amy Carmichael missionary to India.

    Jeremiah 23;22 is surely intensely solemn for us. "if they had stood in my counsel, and had caused my people to hear my words, then they should have turned them from their evil way and from their evil doings."

    So the measure of our power to win souls depends upon the reality of our standing in His counsel. When we live very close to Him, deep in Him, He is able to show us His thoughts and plans about things and people so that we can work along His lines instead of across them; and He can lead us straight to the hearts He has been preparing, and all we do will be backed by HIS POWER. Those of us who have tried to work, and work hard, without having first "stood in His counsel" know how like fighting upstream it is. One's words seem to hit against a wall, or float in the air, or drop in the sea.They feel, and surely are, just purposeless waste.
    Oh! Do let us ask for each other a more and more real standing in the presence of our God. AC

    WE miss you Cody..but the best gift your dad and I have is the gift of you being about the Lords work fulfilling the great commission. May he bless you and the work of your hands and May His face shine upon you...Oh and Swift is doing good, but we can tell he does miss you..Love you <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll be praying that you feel better soon Hannah!
    Sounds like you had a jam=packed day. Praise be to God that he gave Hunter the right words to speak! What a answer to prayer! I'm praying for you all. Keep up the great work! I miss you Cody,and am so proud of you!! Swift misses you too!

    Love Susanna

    ReplyDelete