Monday, June 15, 2009

15.6.09 - A chance to Relax

Tonight we are spending some time with our host families and eating with them in their homes. Tomorrow we are at the church at 7:30 and have programming until 10:30 tomorrow night in the schools here in Rio do Sol. The pictues I have are only a fraction of the pictuers your kids have taken (and I'm approaching 300 myself with a week left to go). Our plan is to post all that we can on facebook once we get back for the purpose of sharing them all with each other and all of you. We have had so many great experiences, conversations and learning opportunities since arriving here almost a week ago. We are learning some Portugese, but mostly our team language has evolved into some sort of a Portuspanglish (part Portuguese, part Spanish and part English). We understand each other, but we're putting Portuguese accents on English words and will bounce back and forth between the three at any random time with words, accents, etc. We understand each other, but I don't think anyone else would be able to.

The preaching at the churches went very well. It was an experience getting there, but some things are probably better left unspoken until we get home. Everyone is safe though so no worries. Lauren and Jake shared their testimonies and did very well. Ricky spoke at one church, I spoke at another. The kids who were along had some great experiences.

Today we went to an impoverished school and taught the children some English, played games with them and shared the Word. We had a very good time and the children seemed to enjoy our presence. Brandon shared his testimony and like the rest of the kids he did great.

We started sharing your comments on our bus rides today out loud with the group. The kids had a lot of fun with that and we'll continue to do so. They love hearing from you.

Joel Michaels (a representative from our church at home) is supposed to be arriving tonight, last we heard he was in Rio de Janiero leaving for Florianapolis this afternoon and then would be catching a bus to where we are.

I don't have too many pictures of the kids jumping in the waterfall, but here are JBarr and Jon standing on a ledge about to jump in for a second time. There is video of this and many pictures from the kids. It's well documented.


The weather is damp and cool during the day and damp and cold at night. We had temperatures in the mid 30's last night. What makes it worse is that Brazillians don't beleive in central heating. Just multiple blankets and sweats.



This is Emily and I with Johnny at the top of the highest mountain near Rio do Sul. We climbed up this (drove most of the way, then climbed the last bit) Sunday morning after the waterfalls. Johnny is the pastor here that set our visit up. He is a great guy and has become a good friend to many of us.
bw

23 comments:

  1. Brandon,
    I am soooo proud of you! You know why!Hopefully, you'll teach me some Portuspanglish when you get home. It sounds fun. I sure hope you and Dad are staying warm. Brock doesn't make the weather sound extremely "balmy" down there. Love you. Give Dad a hug for me.(and u 2)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a note. . . big thunderstorms here and tornado warnings (and sightings) out west by Hastings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! The scenery from the top of the mountain and falls looks absolutely breath taking (even before you think of the frigid water at the bottom!)

    It is exciting to think of how many lives you all have touched already and you are just at the 1/2 way point of the trip. I imagine you are feeling an invigorated exhaustion by now. As I sit out the end of a rumbly thunderstorm at 11:15pm here, I'm praying for a peaceful nights sleep for all of you down there.

    For the long day tomorrow, I'll be praying for supernatural endurance, unity in the team, and that God would prepare the hearts of the kids to hear His thoughts lived and spoken through all of you.

    Have a super fantastic day worshiping God through your service!

    I love you Sam!

    mom (Rhoni)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!! Just found out about the blogsite!!! Thanks for taking the time to put this together! So amazing to hear all God is doing!!! Just wanted Sean to know that AJ is asking about him and that we are praying for all of you!!! Can't wait to hear how God exceedingly abundantly blows your mind!!! Praying that you all allow Him to be your strength as the days get long! When we are weak, HE is strong!

    Love because of Christ,
    Team Seizys

    ReplyDelete
  5. One more thought... In regards to the Portuspanglish.... See 1 Corinthians 14:18 :)
    Rhoni

    ReplyDelete
  6. JBarr and Jon....you guys looked COLD on that ledge!!!!

    Brock...have to say you now have us curious as to what is being left "unsaid"...but will wait patiently to hear all about it!

    Jon...finally got the pool up and running well...invite the team over for a BBQ "after" you return!!

    Thanks again Brock for posting so often and such interesting comments.

    Anxious to hear about your host families when you all return.

    Praying for your long day tomorrow...
    Connie/Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sean H.,
    We miss you SO much! But we know that you are storing up lots of awesome stories to share with us when you return.

    From Grant..."I learned a lot of new drills at the LSE BB clinic that I can't wait to show you. It's just not the same around here without you!"

    From Lauren..."I decided this would be a good week to repaint my room so all of my stuff is in your room now. Hope to get this project done before you get home (yeah, right). Keep up the good work, I miss you."

    From Dad..."I couldn't be more proud of you. You have shown such great courage in going on this trip. Enjoy this amazing journey."

    From Mom..."I really miss our late-night talks. Let me know if you want to send a message to A.O. I wish I could give you a great big hug. Keep letting your light shine, shine, shine..."

    Kathy Higgins

    ReplyDelete
  8. Temps in the 30's? Welcome to the Southern Hemisphere!!!
    Be sure to observe which direction water goes down the drain (opposite of ours!).
    Let me know if I can share any more of these really spiritual applications with you. I'm here for ya...
    Barb D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since only a couple of you will know who I am I will only leave a few words but which ever one of you knows Julia Lonn she said she's praying for you. I talked to her at church and we are excited to get to hear all of the indescribably awesomeful things you've experienced so far.

    One random thought- I'm glad to see I'm not the only pasty one in the world (adventurous waterfall jumpers) Although sunburning has helped with that but then again you're out there too so I guess no more of us pasty people are left.

    Hey Corinthias! Miss you a ton.

    Constantly in prayer
    Lex

    ReplyDelete
  10. Greetings Team, I prayed that God would continue to work through you and that you would be energized for the work ahead of you. I am excited to hear more about the ministry work you are involved it. Thanks again for keeping current on the posting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oops. "...the ministry work you are involved IN." :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Praying for each of you and praising God for His faithfulness! Know that you are loved and missed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. forgot to put my name on my last post... love ya,
    dusty

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brock and Em --

    So...just a heads up, you may want to stop by the grocery store on your way home. Food may or may not be scarce at your place now. Don't ask me how...or who has been eating all that food. :)

    Glad you're both doing well! Enjoy it while you can! Stay warm and I look forward to your return.

    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Eric,

    I am on break at work now. They gave us a small bag of free popcorn today. Nice treat. I am processing changes on car and house insurance policies. I get off at 3:15 pm. The son of our neighbors, Art and Rose, is coming home for a month tomorrow. He has been living and working in China.

    Kevin has been helping out with the Bright Lights program and having lots of screen time. Kevin and I meet with a trainer at the health club tomorrow evening. Perhaps you could do that when you get back.

    We are saving the comics from the newspaper for you to read. Have you used your guitar much on the trip so far? Take care.

    Love,

    Dad
    (LeRoy Rock)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Everyone -
    I fireup the computer every morning to see what is going on in Rio Do Sul. Thanks Brock for all the Posts and intersting comments. Tell Madi I miss her smiling face. God bless you all.
    Grandma "D"

    ReplyDelete
  17. We miss you JBARR-We love you! Praying for you--J.A.C.S.L (S and L turn 1 today-wish you were here to celebrate!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Madi-baby! We miss you so much. Even Emerie misses you. Can you imagine?

    Guess what? Lynne did a vintage bridal show and used Emerie...in my dress! So it's unpacked for the first time since 1992! There's photos on my blog, so tell Brock to let you go there! :-)

    Tonight is the parents' prayer meeting. I have to work, but dad will be there.

    Praying for all of you. I hope it warms up! Good grief. Are you all ffffffrrrreeeeezzzzzing? Hope not. Well, JBarr and John, you deserve to freeze after that jump. :-)

    It's hot, hot here today. Finally.

    Miss you all.

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  19. Never thought it would be warmer here in Lincoln, Nebraska than it is in Brazil! Nick, too bad you had to miss out on the garage sale!:( We made lots of money on all the treasures I found in your room!:) I hope you took warm enough clothes for sleeping. Love and prayers for you and all...mom

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Have been posting but not sure where it went!
    So happy for all your wonderful experiences, cannot wait til you all get back! Dylan so glad to hear you are eating well:-)! Love you. Blessings! Kylee

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dylan, I have been struggling with the mowing without you here. Can't wait till you get home to help me out with that. Hope you are having fun and helping alot of people learn about Christ. Tell Ty that Bear whats his bandana back. See you soon, Love, Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  22. Want to thank Robin for helping us figure out how to post! K and J

    ReplyDelete