Friday, June 19, 2009

Father's Day...a little early

This is your lucky day. It's a two-post Friday. I know you're all excited. We all know the important role that father's have played in all of our lives and the team wanted to say thank you to all of our dads. We're not sure what our internet situtation is going to be the rest of the trip so I'm posting this early to make sure it is available by Father's Day. There is a message from each kid and leader below addressed individually to our Father's. Thank you for all that you have done and we are all looking forward to seeing you upon our return...bw




Hey Dad!!!!
Just wanted to say that I miss you and can’t wait to see you and the rest of the family again. Since I won’t be there for father’s day, I wanted to say I love you and we can celebrate when I get back!!! Have a great one!
Madison




Hey Daddy,
Happy Father’s Day! I love you so much! I am so blessed to have you as my dad. You are so great. I miss you lots and lots (I really do. I am NOT kidding.) And I am praying for you always. I hope that you have a great Father’s Day with the family. I wish that I could be with you and give you a great big hug and maybe a cool card or something. :D Have a great day and eat some really yummy food or something. Okay? Okay!
Abigail Rose




Happy father’s day DAD!!
I only wish that I could spend this fathers day with you but I am over here being the best that I can to be a man of God and show the people here in brazil the love of God. Everything is going well I have not gotten sick yet at all, well besides a little headache but that’s nothing. I wish you were here with me! The Brazilians are so kind and loving, and I really love it here! You and the fam are in my prayers I love all of you!
-Alek Lien



Hey there dad!!
I wanted to let you know that even though I can’t be with you this father’s day…I love you and I am forever blessed to have you as my dad. You have no idea how much you mean to me and words cannot express the thanks I will always have in my heart for you. I didn’t know exactly how much I would miss you while on this trip but I realize that my life is missing something. Everything is going great (except for the 26 hours in a plane!) and I am having a fantastic time overall. I will tell you everything when I get back…so many stories!!
-Sean H





Hi Dad,

Here’s a quick message for you (and mom) from the field. Happy Father’s Day! I hope throughout life, I wouldn’t be here in Brazil and where I am today if it weren’t for your example and love.

Happy Father’s Day from Brazil
Jason



Just wanted to say…Happy Fathers Day!
I wish I could spend the weekend with you and the fam. Miss you all very much! Hope you have a good Fathers Day! Life down in Brazil is awesome! The grub is incredible and filling! Everything is going well, and I’m looking forward to each day serving our Jesus! Keep us in your prayers and thoughts! I haven’t gotten sick yet, but who knows…pray for the health of all the team as well. Much love from me to ya’ll!!
-Nick




Dad, I love you sooo much and I can’t wait to tell you about all my adventures. Don’t feel bad about celebrating without me, I’m having a great time! We eat out for every meal and the food is great, it’s definitely your kind of food, meat, and , meat, and more meat. Thanks for always listening and the great talks. Love you guys! Hadley’s love you guys. Happy Birthday! And remember to watch the College World Series for me! I can’t wait to see you guys again!
-Ryan






Dear Dad and Natalie,
Everything has been awesome and beyond what I expected. The time change took a little getting used to. Every night so far we (Alek, J-Bar, and I) have had a 2nd dinner after getting home with our host families at around 11p.m. Food is always a good thing, but that also means we’re usually up till 12:30a.m. This last week will be the most challenging because we’ll be up from 6 a.m. till 12 a.m. each day. But it’s all worth it. The language has been challenging, but I think it has only brought us closer (the Brazilians and us). It’s weird, but I can actually speak Spanish pretty well now that I’m able to use it. Even though I got a C in Spanish, everything we learned all sort of comes back to you when you’re placed in a situation where you have to use it. There’s tons of stuff I could tell you, but I don’t want to take up too much room. Thanks for praying for me. I miss you guys a lot.
Love, Cam
p.s. (happy father’s day dad)




Dad,
Everything is going great here. I’ve been thinking about you, especially with father’s day and all. We have been targeting schools, and so that’s been awesome getting to know a lot of the little ones. You can go through and read everyone elses posts to get a better idea of what we have been doing each day. The worst part about being here is the weather, cuz nothing ever dries. So that’s the most of my worries which is good. I love you dad and I’m very excited to continue our discussions when I get back. Tell everyone hi for me and that I’m loving every minute of being here!

Jared




Daddio,
Hey Dad, how’s it going? Oh ya know, just hanging out here in Brazil, no big deal. Anyways, I know you were getting worried about whether I was here or not due to lack of pictures and wellp, I am. Actually I’m just e-mailing this to the team, I’m in our basement. But anyways, Happy Frappy Father’s Day. Everything here is super great, the kids are awesome and the food is three times more delicious than it is at home. But that’s okay, I’m sure you’ll eat well for father’s day anyway. Tell the fam fam hi for me, I miss you all, and I’ll see you soon. Eu Amor a Voce.
Love,
Hayden





Dad,
I hope everything is going well in Lincoln. I miss you all a lot, but Brazil has been great. I haven’t gotten sick yet, thanks to my probiotic support! We had an English camp here in Rio de Sol from thurs to sat. Now we are going to schools until Friday. Yesterday I was in a group that shared testimonies and the evange-cube all day. I never thought I would be able to share my faith with so much ease (which I know only comes from God). The food here is awesome. We pretty much eat all the time. And the family I’m staying with is really loving. Well, happy father’s day! Sorry I can’t be there, but we can celebrate when I get back! Tell everyone hi from Brazil!
Love,
Lauren





Hey Daddio,
Everything is going great here. I’ll start out with what you might be wondering about and that is that my diabetes is going just fine and nothing is acting up. I’m changing it normal and have had normal numbers. I’m sorry I’m missing Father’s Day but you are used to it so no worries. We can celebrate a different day just as we have the past 10 or so years. I hope you aren’t killing yourself without your sweets or diet pepsi. If you wanna partake slightly on fathers day, I might just let you. I hope all is well there, but you’re a big boy you can take care of yourself. I heard you are getting some good rain there so that should help your cause for the BEST LAWN IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD. Have a great day and can’t wait to see you guys when I get back. I want to go to Burger King and Chinese food for the record. Have a great day and I’ll see you very soon.
Love ya,
Jake




Hey Fasha
I am so glad that you were able to be on this trip with me you made made it so much easier for me in every way! Its really nice being able to talk and bond with you. I love you so much I’m really glad you didn’t have to stay in Chicago that would haved sucked. You make every day easer, just being able to go to you if I have problems. I hope the rest of the trip goes well and I miss the fam, Sorry if this is kinda short but you know im not good at righting stuff down but you know how much I love you and I always will and P.S you don’t always have to do everything I do just to prove that you’re still young. I truly don’t think your old, I just give you crap a bout it
I love you Dad
Band-Aid





HAPPY FATHER’S DAY JERRY!!!!!!
I am having soooooo much fun here. The time of my life. I’ve been all over the US, Guatemala, and Brazil and still no lawn as pretty as yours! I am staying in a host family with Ty, Sean, Hayden, Brandon, and Vanderlei!! We are in a beautiful house with an awesome family. They have a sweet pool but its not hot enough to swim L. I thought I might not be eating much here since I didn’t know what was in store for me…. WRONG! Here we are constantly eating. The whole time we are at our host family they are shoving food in our face. Lots of good fruits and breads!!! Love it!! I also didn’t need as much clothes as I brought, every day our host mom washes our clothes from they day before. They are soooo nice here. One of the sons that lives in the house speaks very good Spanish so I am able to say what ever, I’m soo happy for this, some people live with people who speak no English or Spanish so they have to use all hand motions! Crazy! Well have a fantastic father’s day!! Miss you and love you!!!! You the best!! Also got your letters today!!! I just got done reading them here in the bus. We have a 2 hour bus ride back to our home from another town. Today was soooo fun. All the kids all gather around us like we are some popular band or something. We also have to give them autographs! HAHA LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DYLAN!!!!!
P.S.-Tell my Mother I miss her and love her and have so much to tell you guys!!! Also give Bear, Buck and Bob a big ol hug for me!!




HAPPY FATHER”S DAY POP!!
I cannot even say how much fun we are having here. Some of us are a little worn out since we are non-stop moving. Today we woke up at 6:00 and walked into our kitchen were our host mother has a huge table of food awaiting us and also like 10 pitchers full of fresh squeezed orange juice. We then left and took a 2 hr. bus ride to a town where we travel to three different schools all day and we won’t be back till like 11:00 that’s a usual day for us. Its very tiring but soooooo much fun!! The ladies are quite pretty here I might say haha. Tonight Ty (the kid that was wearing a scoobie doo tie on graduation), Hayden and I were put in a room full of 15-17 year olds and expected to do something for an hour!! I was super nervous because none of us speak Portuguese and the definitely don’t speak English or Spanish. But, it ended up being soo much fun and we played hang man and dictionary the whole time. It’s crazy how you can have so much fun with people that you can’t really speak to!! Thanks for everything at Graduation!!! Sooo glad I got to spend it with ya!!!!!!!!!!! Much Love!!!!!!! Can’t wait to talk when I get back!!!!!! LOVE!!
Dylan

P.S. Read up above too to find out more info and same with Jerry if you are reading this!!!!!!! Ty says he wants you all to give buck bear and bob a hug!





Dear Dad,

I just got your notes tonight so I’m in an extremely awesome mood. Then again I’m in Brasil, and I can’t complain at all. I don’t want to leave but I have so many good stories and pictures to show ya’ll. My relationship with God and everyone on this team is getting stronger with each day. I can’t thank you enough for everything you have given me (guitar, trust, car, money) and I know how much of a loser I can be so I appreciate everything. This year has been extremely crazy with all my knee surgeries and all your support. All these challenges that I thought were going to be hard we’re so much easier with you helping my every need. I love you. You’re amazing. And I hope Cole gives you my present. Thanks for all the prayers, I probably need them. Happy father’s day, hope you don’t miss me too much.

Your Favorite Son,
Tyler Weihe

P.S. Dylan says to get off your facebook, it’s 3 in the morning.






Dear Scott (Dad),
Hey! Happy Fathers day! I miss you a ton, n im actually getting kind of home sick, because this is the first mission trip I haven’t had a family member on! I hope you have a great day, and I wish u were here with me. I cant wait to get back and play some golf! I hope the whole David situation is goin well, and hes not eatin too much. Have a great fathers day, and I cant wait to see you!. Also I miss everyone else, and who posted that comment as “someone who cares”…

Andrew



Hi honey (aka Drummer Dan) !!
Happy Father’s Day. Can’t wait to see you and exchange stories from the last two weeks. I’ll make sure I bring you some of my favorite chocolate that we had at our “chocolate tasting party” and “peixe” ---I’ll explain later. Hopefully you and Kayla have had some great bonding time!!!
Love you muchly
Bambie




Hey Dad (Dale M)
Just want to say happy Fathers day!! I would say I'm really starting to miss it back home but really I'm not sorry. Joking I miss everyone back home and I can’t wait to see you guys. Hope everything is going good. And hopefully your getting some work done cause I know since I’m not their you don’t have anyone to tell what to do! But i'm really missing it their and I cant wait to get back I hope you have a good fathers day even though your stuck with Shamus and Logan maybe you better just hang out with Boomer and Ringo they might be better company. But tell Shamus and Logan for some reason I’m missing them to but I think it’s just cause I miss seeing their ugly faces everyday and realizing I’m the best looking one in the family. Tell Cheri I’m missing her to and ill see you all when I get home Tuesday have a good Fathers day. Can’t wait to see everyone.
Love.

Sean McClure





Dear Marty.

Happy fathers day sorry I cant be their as much as I would like to be their on fathers day I’m going to take a wild guess and say this is a little bit more fun and more use full haha. But make sure you guys don’t get to wore out from the lake because i haven’t even started yet so you are going to have multiple more trips that you have to take out their. I’m missing everyone at home and I cant wait to see you all. Tell mom and Dakota I’m missing them both and I have a lot of stories for when I get back. I can’t wait to see you all and tell mom I got the letter yesterday I appreciate it a lot. Tell everyone I’m really growing down here I can’t believe it. But I miss you all I see you Tuesday.

Love,

Sean McClure

P.S
Tell Kelly I’m really missing her and I read her letter yesterday I’m glad she wrote cause other wise I would of completely forgot about her. Jk. I tell everyone I have a girlfriend and show them a picture. Call her and tell her I miss her a lot and can’t wait to see her when I get back.

Sean McClure



Hey Dad,
Happy fathers day. I hope you have a great day. I miss you and everyone at home a lot and cant wait to see everyone on Tuesday when I get back, don’t forget to come and get me in Omaha ok. But when you are reading this I will be in Rio De Janeiro either soaking up the sun on the beach or going to see the Christ statue. I love it down here its super fun and I can’t communicate the best but people understand me. I have a really cool host family. I am staying with Nick and liz and Steve at Johnys house. It’s a lot of fun. Everyone down here just loves on everyone which is awesome and the food is really good. We eat a ton though. By the way jumping in that waterfall was beyond cold. When I went in I couldn’t breath. But it’s all good. I Miss you and everyone and I’m gonna really miss not going to Mexico I think about it everyday. But I know God has worked through me here and I love it here. I still want to go to both places next year. These trips make me seriously think about being a missionary someday. But I hope you have a great day tomorrow dad and thanks for being such a great positive influence in my life and I love ya a lot. I miss ya and can’t wait to see ya. Keep praying for us.
Love ya pops, JON



Mark,

Happy Father’s Day! We wish we could be there to celebrate. Things are going well here. Can’t believe how fast the trip has flown by. We are all pretty exhausted. We hope that you got the card we sent. We found it to be perfect after your comment about Hee Haw that none of us got but mom. Ha. Ha. Have a Happy Father’s Day! We love you!
Emily and Brock



Boom,

Happy Father’s Day. Wish we could get out for a round of golf for Father’s Day, but we’ll have to take a rain-check on that. We are having an unbelievable time down here in Brazil. So many great people and such a great purpose. We have so much to tell you about when we get back. Hope you have a great Father’s Day.

Love,

Brock and Em


Hey (old-bike-riding-steak-smoking) man –
Dude, happy fathers day. Wish you could come down here for a meal, unbelievable steaks and the chicken hearts are excellent. We’ll have to do a couple rides so I can tell about every thing down here – love you lots and happy fathers day.

Matt


Oi, Pai. (That’s how we say ‘Sup, Dad in Brazil)
Sorry that I’m the last one to type a message, but I was always asleep when we had time to type. (Or maybe they were just saving the best for last.) Anyways, this is just a note to say that I love you and I miss you on this father’s day 2009. I hope you have a great time with the rest of the family and I hope to see you soon.
Love,
Eric “The” Rock


Hi dad, I’ll bet you never expected to get a note from me in Brazil. Happy Fathers Day!!! We’ve had a great time with the people here in Rio De Sol. All the students have been doing a good job. We are all getting a little tired but God is keeping us all very strong. My host family is very nice. It’s a little cold at night, but the days are very warm, well not hot! The homes do not have heat and the temp goes down in the 30’s. I know it sounds crazy but I’m eating almost all the different kinds of food, and I’ve not been sick. Well we will be home in a few days, so I’ll tell you more then. Dad I really love you, thanks for all you have done. Tell mom hello and that I really love her too. Hope you enjoy your father’s day gift, see you soon!
Love, Darryl


Hey Dad,
Just wanted to send a note from the road to wish you a happy father’s day. I wish I could be there with you all to celebrate and to enjoy a nice family meal together. Since I’m not able to be there with you all, I’ll look forward to you treating me to a nice meal when I get back. J See you in a week!
Love,
Joel

11 comments:

  1. There seems to be a repeating theme in this post - besides the Happy Father's Day thing. Either this is a team of mostly male teen-agers, or the food is realllly good down there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you all have some great dads! Praising the Greatest Father of all...
    and requesting He continues to bless your trip...
    In Christ,
    dusty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I did enjoy the Father's Day card. It makes me feel old that nobody has the sightest idea what I am talking about when I mention old TV shows. We are still praying for you and excited by what is happening down there. We hope you have a great few days in Rio! See you soon. Love Mark and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nick, so good to actually hear from you personally. Have you been enjoying the coffee down there! Don't get too crazy with the souvenirs! Well, now you have some well deserved time of rest and relaxation. Enjoy the sights and have fun. See you Tuesday! Well done good and faithful servant! Keep on being faithful. A thousand hugs...mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello to Jake and Everyone! It was so nice to hear your amazing Father's Day Tributes. It gave us even more of an idea of what life has been like for you all over the last couple of weeks. I am SO PROUD of the mission that you have accomplished! PTL!!! Jake...Burger King and Chinese, huh? Sounds good! I think Burger King has just started offering Chicken Heart Burgers:) Actually, we have a party all planned for when you come home...Wednesday Night. It's called, "Let's Hear All About Jake's Mission Trip and Get Rid of All of His Leftover Graduation Food!" There will even be leftover chocolate fountain...now in a fondue pot. Yup...grandma saved the unused melted chocolate! Can't wait to see my little guy when you walk off the plane!!

    Love you so!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alek, thanks a ton for the note, I am so looking forward to hearing about your trip on Tuesday! And to everyone else, thanks to you to for all the great Father's Day posts, I am sure that it has been an honor for all of us Dad's back here in the states to have them written to us.

    Alek, Wisconsin was amazing again, and of course. The only disappointment was that we did not get BananaBoats...I guess there were too many of us to take that many bananas on the trip in the coolers.

    No major canoe tip-overs. We all made it through Cedar Rapids just fine, and as you might think, I pushed my canoe back up the side like three extra times so I could go through again and again. I even tried to paddle back up the falls, as they say is possible. One of the trip leaders got all the way to the bottom of the highest falls, but could not get over that one.

    We did have hobo meals, pizza, stellar sweet breakfasts of bacon and eggs, french toast, and of course, steak and ice cream the last night back in camp.

    My clothes are so dirty that mom is washing them twice.

    I really wish you were here so I could get a hug. I am looking forward to that for sure on Tuesday. Actually Mason did give me a hug when I got home last night at midnight.

    On the way home we went to camp Snoopy at the Mall of America, and did some quick walking around the mall, which was fun for all of us. They have some new rides, one SpongeBob roller coaster that is pretty intense and extremely fast and fun!

    I am proud of you Alek, and glad you had this chance to visit and share in Brasil. I am looking forward to hearing about the whole trip when you get back.

    Let's go get dinner somewhere and you can update us on everything. How about Indian?

    Love you a ton Alek.

    Brock, you are a stud for keeping everyone updated like you have. Thanks for that too!

    God's speed on your trip home! See y'all on Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alek, It was Awesome to hear from you.. So happy that you are doing so good and feeling good too! I am looking so forward to you being home. Oh and anything you want to eat on Tuesday is what you will get :)
    For you and the whole team spend this weekend reflecting on all that God has done thru you. Soak it all in... relax and enjoy these last couple of days. One day you all will stand before God and He will say "Well done my good and faithful servant" on what you did on this mission journey.
    I love you so much and I am warning you now you will be getting a big old bear hug from your mama..
    love you bunches
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way cool to read through these posts! We love hearing from everyone!

    What an exciting reunion we will have in 4 days, a small picture of what it will be like to reach heaven someday.
    And how many more people whose lives you touched will be there? Wow, you will not know the full impact these 14 days have had on eternity, until we reach it! One day you will get to see the ripple effect on each life that was touched by Christ through your simple obedience in these 2 short weeks. Makes it pretty worth it, doesn't it?
    I pray today that God has a tight hold on each of your lives, a grip that you will not allow to be lessened as time passes. I pray that this trip sparks a passion in some of you to full time Service to Him, and that it motivates all of you to become missionaries right where you are.
    The challenge is to continue the dependence on God that you have experienced first hand. Set your hearts and your minds on staying where you are in that dependence, and not allowing life to take you back where you used to be. Hold tightly to what you've learned and remember the work God has done in and through you.

    Sorry about the lecture!! Andrew is used to that!!

    Dad is at the church office working this morning. He will love your father's day note. I'm making ribs on the grill for him tomorrow. There will probably be some left over for you. Who do you think left the "someone who cares" post?

    Maggie got home last night @ 11, she talked non-stop until 12:30. You can imagine that, she saw her first shooting star and has 24 mosquito bites. She loved it!
    I hadn't thought about this being the first mission trip without a family member. That's strange, isn't it? It's in our blood. Praying for you buddy. We're all wondering if you've met a Brazilian Beauty? You know, we've heard from several sources that they have the most beautiful women in the world.......and Rio is supposed to be one the most beautiful cities in the world!

    Hope you have plenty of Ty PM left for the trip home. Can't wait to give you a hug. Be thinking about where you want to go for lunch on Tuesday---

    Love, Prayers, and Hugs,

    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oops, posted comments under "19.6.09 Last Day in Rio Do Sul", check there for messages from myself and Kathy Higgins if you didn't see them.

    Thanks!
    Becky Rock

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Jakey! I just got home from wisconsin last night and can't wait to swap stories with you. I hope you are having a great time and after reading through all the posts it seems you are! I don't know if you have heard but the brownie batter blizzard is back at dairy queen!!!! Dad says hi. He can't post from his computer but we need to figure out something to get him for father's day next week so put that smart brain of yours to work on the plane ride home. I couldn't believe how many people you guys have reached for Christ during your time there. I put my clothes on monday morning of my trip and took them off thursday night for the first time so I am going to go finish my laundry. sorry this is random but i've been with crazy middle school kids all week and am still in whacko mode. see you soon!!!!! love you and miss you and i hope you wrote some sweet stuff in your b-e-a-utiful journal :)

    later skater
    ellie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Eric,

    Just a quick note before we head to Saturday night church at Berean, Kevin wants to hear Bryan Clark, and he has enjoyed playing cello in the Free Church orchestra this summer. So we are a two-church family this weekend. Looking forward to seeing you soon.

    Cordially,

    L-Rock

    ReplyDelete